Texas Hold’em is the most popular form of poker. It is believed that Hold’em has the largest number of strategies and tutorials. At the same time, the rules of Hold’em are very simple. You will need only a few minutes to learn them. Perhaps it will take you a little longer to memorize the poker combinations. You will be able to play with beginners right after you read the rules, but to win with more experienced opponents you will have to learn at least basic poker strategies. But don’t worry, it’s very interesting and exciting!
Here are the general rules and basic principles for all types of Texas Hold’em. There are several types of poker, which are related to betting limits: No Limit, Limit Poker and Pot Limit Poker.
The aim of the game
Let’s start by clarifying the purpose of the game. In Hold’em, the objective is to get the best five card hand. You may pick from any two cards dealt to you and any five cards dealt to you on the table. If you do not know what combinations of cards (poker hands, hands, poker hands) and what their strength is, check them out on the card combinations page.
Sequence of play
- Each player gets two cards face down. These are pocket cards. They are also called hole cards or pocket cards. They are the only cards that a player gets individually. From these cards and common cards, which will be dealt in the next rounds of the game, the player will make a combination or “hand” (poker hand). It should be noted that at the very beginning of the game, before the cards are dealt, there is a process of mandatory betting. It is described in details below.
- When there are no Community Cards on the table, but players have already received their pocket cards, the preflop is called. This is when players place their first bets. Or they refuse to play and fold if they see they don’t have good cards. You may accept the bet placed before you or raise if you have good cards. If you raise, players either call or fold. Then bets are added up to a pot and the next phase of the game begins: the flop.
- Flop – three common cards are put on the table. Now you can make a preliminary combination of cards, using your pocket cards and community cards. For example, you have a king and a jack in your hand. On the flop, you put a common seven, a nine, and a jack on the table. You now have a combination of a pair of jacks. The second betting round begins. You may call, raise, or fold.
- Turn – the fourth common card is placed on the table. Using this card the players can improve their preliminary combination or stay with the previous combination, if the new card is not suitable. Passes the next round of betting.
- River – the fifth common card appears on the table. Last betting round. Those players who were left in the game, open their cards – showdown – and find out who won. The player with the stronger combination of cards takes the whole pot. If the combinations are equal in strength, the pot is divided between the players.
Blinds are mandatory bets made by two players before the start of the game.
Hold’em is played with a “dealer button”, which identifies the dealer. The chip moves clockwise in a circle after each game. This is very important because each player’s position is determined in relation to the dealer. And the position greatly affects the decisions on the game.
The essence of compulsory bets
Two players to the left of the dealer before the pocket cards are dealt, place so-called “blind bets”. These players are “blinds” for this game. The one closest to the dealer (remember, the counting is on the left hand of the dealer) is called the small blind. The player to the left of the MB is called the Big Blind.
Before the cards are dealt, these players must put compulsory bets called the small blind and the big blind, respectively.
The small blind is equal to half of the bet acting at the table, and the big blind is equal to the whole bet. For example, if the minimum bet for the table you are playing at is $1, the IB bets 50 cents and the BB bets $1. Then the pocket cards are dealt and the first betting round begins. The first “normal” bet is made by the player sitting to the left of BB. Remember, this is two people to the left of the dealer.